2020 Summer Open Latest News

May 19, 2020

Summer Open Postponement

2020 Summer Open Powerlifting and Bench Press Championships has been postponed to August 29 and 30, 2020. The venue has been moved to Fortius Sport & Health in Burnaby, BC. While the province is slowly opening back up, these are still uncertain times and as such, our original venue for Summer Open has decided they cannot host our event.

All existing Summer Open registrations are still valid, and the registration form is still open at bit.ly/2020summeropenregistration! Please email the new meet director for Summer Open, Lynne Desautels, at lynne.desautels@bc-powerlifting.com if you would like to be taken off the roster for any reason.

Western Championships Postponement

As previously announced, CPU Western Championships has been postponed to Oct. 29 through Nov. 1, 2020. It will still be held at Fortius Sport & Health. Please see their website at www.2020westernchampionships.com for more information.

Qualifying standards for CPU Regional Championships have been changed for 2020. Please see our Qualifying Standards page for complete information.

Summer Open FAQ

Who can register for Summer Open?

All BCPA members can register for Summer Open! It replaces BC Provincials in the calendar this summer, but it does not have qualifying standards. Summer Open is ideal for the first-time competitor!

Why should I register for Summer Open?

For this year only, the CPU has waived qualifying totals to compete at CPU Regional Championships. In order to compete at CPU Westerns in 2020, athletes must have competed in at least one competition prior. If you have never competed before, then you can use Summer Open to fulfill the qualifying standards in order to compete at CPU Westerns this year! CPU Westerns is in Burnaby, BC this year so this is an ideal path to Nationals 2021 for lifters in BC.

Do I need to have a CPU membership to register for Summer Open?

No, you can register without a CPU membership. You will need a valid CPU membership on the day of competition.

What happens if the province locks down again?

We are following all provincial health guidance for our events. We will hold Summer Open as long as we are allowed to do so. If the province puts restrictions back into place then we may postpone or cancel Summer Open. For this reason, we aren’t collecting registration fees until we get closer to the competition date.

Why do you guys even bother with trying to hold competitions during a time like this?

We have a duty to serve our membership. We remain cautiously optimistic when it comes to scheduling our competitions. It’s hard to pull together a competition at the last minute, so we want to be prepared and ready to go the moment restrictions are lifted and we are allowed to hold competitions.