March 16, 2020
2020 Winter Open is cancelled.
As directed by the BC Provincial Health Officer, Winter Open will be cancelled due to tightened restrictions placed today on events of more than 50 people.
Refunds will be issued automatically to all competitors. Thanks for your patience as we process all of the refunds today.
We appreciate all of the volunteers who had stepped up for Winter Open. The memes were not in vain!
We know this cancellation is disappointing to many of you who were excited to compete. However, this pandemic is greater than our sport and we have a responsibility to our fellow humans to stay safe and healthy. Please continue to follow all health measures. Practice social distancing. Wash your hands frequently. Check in on older family members, neighbours, and friends. We are strong in many ways, not just under the bar.
March 12, 2020
The BCPA is monitoring the COVID-19 (also known as novel coronavirus) pandemic in regards to the upcoming Winter Open Powerlifting and Bench Press Championships next weekend in Burnaby, BC. Federal and municipal governments have not imposed any restrictions on public gatherings, so the Winter Open is still expected to take place on March 21 and 22, 2020. The BCPA will take the following measures at the event to increase participant, volunteer, and spectator safety:
- All participants, volunteers, and spectators are requested to not attend Winter Open if they are sick, have been in contact with confirmed cases of COVID-19, or have travelled to countries with active health notices in the 14 days preceding Winter Open. For a list of countries with active health notices, please refer to the Government of Canada website.
- All participants, volunteers, and spectators who do attend Winter Open are asked to keep physical contact to a minimum. Avoid handshakes and fist bumps, don’t share food and drinks, avoid touching your face, and wash your hands frequently. Our venue, Fortius Sport & Health, have enough washroom facilities to accommodate everyone.
- The warm-up room equipment will be frequently cleaned by volunteers using a bleach solution that is deemed effective by the CDC for combating COVID-19 on surface areas. This may slow down your warm-up, so please plan accordingly. Do not impede the work of the volunteer staff in their cleaning of equipment, as their duties take priority over your warm-up.
- The platform chief will be responsible for spraying and wiping down the barbell on the competition platform after each round of attempts, or if requested by the lifter or their coach (as per IPF Technical Rulebook, the request must be made to the chief referee and not to the platform crew).
- Extend the 10 minute break between disciplines to 15 minutes so volunteers have more time to wash hands and face before eating.
- Add a hygiene component to the lifters meeting before each session reminding lifters to wash their hands before eating and not to share water bottles.
- Most volunteer food will be individually packaged. No open containers such as bags of chips or tubs of gummies. Any food that is not individually packaged, such as the volunteer lunches and dinners, will be handed out by a volunteer in order to minimize points of contact.
COVID-19 has higher risk for certain populations such as small children, the elderly, or people with compromised immune systems such as transplant recipients. If you are in frequent contact with these groups and have concerns about competing at Winter Open then please email the meet director, Lynne Desautels, at email@example.com.
Fortius Sport & Health have issued their own notice for patrons, which you can find here.
Since this is a rapidly evolving situation, these measures may be extended in the coming days. We are also ready to consider more extreme measures depending on how the situation unfolds over the next week. The safety of our membership is of paramount importance to the BCPA.